Saturday, October 26, 2013


With great sadness as I write this post after much thinking/researching I have decided that it is time to wean Gabby of my breastsmilk.
I never thought we would last this long, I always aimed at the 1 year mark but when we passed it roughly 6 months ago I was actually quite excited that I was able to provide enough for her to keep drinking (with Bella it started to dry up at around 11 months but we stopped at 13 months) but lately the whole sleep thing has become a total nightmare, we co-sleep majority of the time & having her wake up constantly just so she can suckle for a few moments then just hold on makes my body very tired + the other person a little grumpy.

During the day we are just fine drinking when she wakes up, then again for nap time, then either before dinner or after, some days she wants more as she either had a rough night or because she just wants a drink.

Slowly I will wean her night feeds following Dr Jay Gordon's plan then I will be cutting her other feeds one by one mostly leaving the morning & just before bed until the end.

Don't get me wrong I love breastfeeding but right now it isn't working for both of us, I know people say you stop when the child wants to but shouldn't our body decided? We are the ones producing it after all, the ones that still have to care for our child no matter how we feel.

If you have any ideas on how to make this path even smoother leave a comment below or if you've completely weaned too, would love to hear/read about it.

1 comment:

  1. I think you need to stop if you want to - you have given your daughter many many months and now it is time for you to look after yourself. More sleep means everyone will be happier.

    I night-weaned my daughter when she was around 14 months using Jay Gordon's method and immediately we both got more sleep. I weaned her completely a couple months later. I was five months pregnant at the time and I don't think I actually had much milk left and she was just suckling for comfort. My husband took over bed time and she wasn't really that fussed.
    Recently I tried to night wean my son (at 12 months) using the same method, but a cold and teething have made it less straight forward. He is waking less at night, but I think I will have another go in a month or so.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete